The Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy team strongly believes understanding and developing your mental and emotional skills are essential in becoming a champion and in fulfilling your fullest potential. Strong mental skills also can aid in accelerating your physical and technical development as an athlete.
So what exactly are Champions doing differently or better than others as it relates to mental conditioning?
They prepare more deliberately. They perform better under pressure. They are more consistent over time. Their work ethic is extremely dedicated to learning and improving every day. They handle setbacks and adversity better, and adjust quicker. Their focus is more intense and concentration higher. They are more confident, and they love what they're doing, whether it's learning, practicing or playing.
At GGGA, we believe people can learn to "think, train and play like a champion." Under the direction of Dr. Dan Vosgerichian, Director of Mental Training at GGGA, GGGA's mental training program encompasses the following areas:
GGGA is prepared to help each student achieve the following goals:
- Get better results
- Feel more in control of their game
- Perform more consistently
- Overcome their fears
- Have a lot more fun
GGGA goes about achieving these goals in the following manner:
- Give an assessment and plan for the development of each student's mental/emotional skills
- Tailor customized coaching for each student
- Teach solid understanding of the mental and emotional side of golf and life and the why's and how's to gain control over them
- Use research-based tools and techniques for simple practical application
- Foster a supportive environment that helps build confidence and self-esteem